What is orange peeling in automotive paint and how to prevent it when using aerosol spray cans
Orange peel is a common term used to describe the appearance of a textured surface in automotive paint that resembles the skin of an orange. It is caused by the surface of the paint drying too quickly before it has a chance to level out and smooth. When the paint dries too quickly, the surface tension of the paint creates a textured surface.
When using aerosol spray cans to apply automotive paint, here are some tips to prevent orange peel:
- Shake the Can Thoroughly: Before you start spraying, make sure to shake the can thoroughly to mix the paint and ensure a smooth application.
- Test Spray: Before you start spraying the actual surface, test spray the paint onto a small area to get a feel for the spray pattern and to ensure that the paint is coming out evenly.
- Apply Light Coats: To prevent orange peel, it’s important to apply light, even coats of paint. Applying too much paint in one area can cause the paint to pool and dry unevenly, leading to orange peel.
- Hold the Can at the Proper Distance: Holding the can too close to the surface can cause the paint to build up and dry unevenly, leading to orange peel. Hold the can at the recommended distance from the surface, which is usually around 6-8 inches.
- Use a Smooth, Consistent Motion: To ensure even coverage and prevent orange peel, use a smooth, consistent motion when spraying. Move the can back and forth in a sweeping motion, overlapping each pass slightly.
- Check surface temperature, aerosol can temperature, air temperature and humidity % before beginning a project. Generally all temperatures should be between 60-70 degrees Fahrenheit. And Humidity should be below 50%
By following these tips, you can help prevent orange peel when using aerosol spray cans to apply automotive paint. Remember to always work in a well-ventilated area and wear appropriate safety gear, such as a respirator mask, when painting. For a high quality paint finish check out our products for the best touch up paint 2023